The Schindler Global Award (SGA) is a student urban design competition. It is focused on mobility, understood as a key driver of desirable change in urban areas around the world. The SGA will focus on the impact and implications of current and future mobility systems on urban development in one of the most globally significant cities – Mumbai.
The SGA 2018-19 is open to final-year bachelors and all master’s degree students of architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, and planning, from degree-granting educational institutions worldwide. Students can participate individually or in teams, and each entry must have a faculty supervisor.
The SGA is a one-of-a-kind urban design competition that encourages students to put their skills to the test. As the second largest city in the world, Mumbai presents many challenges, offering participating students the chance to engage with spatial, social and strategic topics.
Provided By: The Schindler Group established the Schindler Award in 2003, the European Year of Disabled People, to examine questions about universal mobility and access in the European context.
- Award Amount: 100’000 US$
- Number of Awards: 15
- Study Level: Bachelor and Master Level
- Submission Categories: Online
- Application Deadline: 18th January 2019
- Winner Announcement: NA
Who May Enter:
- The Schindler Global Award competition is open for entry by enrolled students as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree candidates in their final and/or thesis year and Master’s degree candidates, along with their international equivalents in the fields of architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, and planning.
- The supervision by a university faculty member is required for all competition entries.
- The supervising faculty member must be named at registration.
- One registration is required for each team or individual who wishes to participate.
- Each student may only participate as either part of a single team or individually.
- All Participants must provide an e-mail address through which they can be contacted.
- All registrations will be confirmed by email within seven days.
- Each Participant whose registration is accepted will receive an official entry number. This entry number shall thereafter be quoted in all future correspondence with the competition management.
- Participants who register to enter the competition as a team must designate one member of the team as a spokesperson to whom all correspondence will be addressed.
To participate, Participants can use the online registration and upload function to submit their projects during the submission period online system: https://schindleraward.schindler.com/
- The working language of the Schindler Global Award competition is English.
- All documents, correspondence, the award ceremony and any other communication related to the Schindler Global Award will be in English.
Proof of Suitability Proof of current enrollment at a university in one of the eligible disciplines and student years is required, as well as a confirmation of the overseeing faculty member. Indications regarding the university, department or faculty, chair, and name of the supervising faculty member are required.
With over 100’000 US$ in prizes and a jury of international experts and practitioners, the Schindler Global Award gives the students of today a chance to contribute to the cities of tomorrow. The jury will nominate a minimum of three (3) and a maximum of twelve (12) projects, from which the winners will be selected.
A maximum of two representatives from each of the nominated teams, along with each nominated team’s supervising faculty member will be invited to attend the award ceremony. Schindler will reimburse the expenses for the journey and accommodation of up to two students per nominated team, along with their official supervising faculty member.
The competition organizers recommend the following distribution of the prize-money as stated below. However, the jury is free to assign the ranks, the related award categories and the respective prize-money.
- 1st Prize 25,000 USD
- 2nd Prize 15,000 USD
- 3rd Prize 12,500 USD
- 1st Honorable mention 7,500 USD
- 2nd Honorable mention 7,500 USD
- 3rd Honorable mention 7,500 USD
- 6 Travel grants 5,000 USD
Schindler Global Award 2019 Competition Brief – PDF
Schindler Global Award 2019 Competition Rules – PDF
Competition Management email contact: email@example.com